Thursday, February 26, 2009

AUSTRALIAN YOUTH FORUM

Last Friday I was lucky enough to be picked to MC at the Australian Youth Forum.  

I haven't done something like this on a national level, the last time I participated in relaying ideas for Government was Youth Parliament in Victoria in my final years of high school.  

This was incredible! We were hooked up via satellite to 1000 people across the country and at the end of the forum I got to speak to a representative in each city across Australia about what ideas came up in the forum to the topics of Participating in Democracy and Violence and Safety.  

I think one of the most interesting things that came up consistently was lowering the voting age in Australia. I don't even think I thought it should be a right of mine to vote while in my high school years. Yet, a completely legitimate point. I would strongly consider it too.  

A rep in the Northern Territory brought out the point of racism still being a prevalent issue, while in Sydney they spoke of a social acceptance of all cultures. Some very interesting speeches were made from MInister Kate Ellis, Young Australian of the Year, Jonty Bush spoke and a very moving speech was made by Jono Chase addressing violence and public safety. Jonty made a very good point of making violence become a social faux pas similar to changing attitudes to smoking.  

All very interesting and important topics. If you want to get involved in discussions head to: http://www.youth.gov.au/ayf/  
A refreshing experience

No comments:

Post a Comment