Tuesday, January 27, 2009

恭喜发财!



Gong Xi Fat Choi! 

(Happy New Year!)


I had a timely encounter with a lion dance after eating rice paper rolls with my 'ma in Richmond (Melbourne, Australia) this afternoon. The local news agent called on the blessings of the lions to come dance, eat cabbage, receive money in a red packet for its services and set some red pyro alight to scare all the evil spirits away.


----

I miss being a kid. I saw this over and over for days during the New Year. I lived and breathed every Chinese Festival with my Grandparents (though my fave was, and still is the Chinese Lantern Festival). I was in charge of the cymbols for our own Lion Dances at Chinese school. At home all I did was over eat on home made prawn crackers and achar while listening to old red cassette tapes my Grandparents blared through the stereo for weeks. Looking back I'm surprised that our Italian neighbours didn't bang on our door to turn the noise down,  ah the beauty of the Melbourne suburbs ;-). 


Nostalgia is a great thing.  

----

All I did for New Year was what I saw (above). No red packets, no prawn crackers... and just the thought of my dear Grandparents. Oh, I did pick up this neat hat on the way back to the car. 



The spirit is still in me though, and many blessings to you radcakes readers. To great health, prosperity and peace in 2009. Happy Year of the Ox!

No comments:

Post a Comment