Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Fear and Loathing in Fresno

Something is wrong with me.

It must be me.

I'm back home for a break from work, which is music. For those of you who don't know that I live in Sydney and I'm originally from California. Pretty much middleton-anywhere USA part of California in a city called Fresno where the kids play basketball and drive their remote control cars in couldesacs while they're mothers sit in the shade sipping ice-teas while they discuss pan tone schemes so their mailboxes can coordinate. it's the kind of place where the neighbors get concerned if your dog looks a little chubby. (no joke it happened to me today)

It's pretty much the ideal, picturesque, downright perfect little slice of neighborhood.

I HATE IT!!!!

Everyone talks way too much...and says nothing.

And they all call you bud, or say things like "howdy stranger". Wyatt Earp lives in the burbs...

But I've been thinking, and i feel like it might not be them, it very well could be me in fact.

I feel like Robert Neville, the protagonist in the original I am legend. not the movie, the book. Its the moment in the very end where he the hero realises that he's not the hero anymore. He sees that although he thought he was correct in his ways and was saving the world, society had actually moved on without him and he was now the villain terrorizing a community that was completely content with where they had ended up...even if they were blood sucking vampires.

did i ruin that for you?...sucked in it was necessary

so maybe society here has moved on without me. Maybe I'm the villain in this scenario.

when they see this:



I see this:





And it's not just my neighborhood, it seems like the whole country has flipped since I've been gone.


When i lived here DL Hughley was making fun of people, Joaquin Phoenix was an actor, and the billboards were a respected music chart:





Now DL has a show on CNN, Joaquin Phoenix is a rapper, and the billboard chart is a joke:




That's it...

Time to get the hell out of dodge!

3 comments:

  1. Holy hell. Joaquin Phoenix has lost it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man I almost died when that soldier (solja) boy song came out. and I thank the heavens that the liquid paper on sunglasses didn't flow into a trend amongst suburban and inner mixed zone kids. that would have knocked me over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry... i digress... dammit let's change the world!

    ReplyDelete